Wednesday, December 10, 2008

First comes love...

After writing letters for four months, James was finally graduating from boot camp. Erin, Anthony, James Michael Sanders (a friend from college), and I drove down from Montreat College to Paris Island, SC to celebrate with his family and friends from home.

Waiting for the ceremony to start
Erin and Anthony

We arrived late to the big rental house that everyone was staying in. The next day, we headed to the big field where the ceremony was going to take place. The ceremony was nice. In a sense, I think each and everyone of us felt very patroit when the Marine marching band played the National Athem. Each and everyone of us swelled with pride when James and his platoon marched by. Finally, the ceremony was over and the soliders were released, the field became a sea of color as families, friends and the men rushed to find each other. We stayed fixed in one place as we waiting for James to find us. As he came towards us, he found Anthony first. The reunion was sweet to watch.

It was an emotional moment for us all.
Then it was my turn... I was finally about to hug the guy that I had fallen for through letters for the first time.


It was a bone-crushing-I-can't-breathe-choke-the-air-outta-me hug. Like what most tall people do, James grabbed my neck and squeezed the heck out of it. Later, I had to teach him how to hug me. To this day, he is one of my favorite huggers.

Anyways, besides almost passing out, I really enjoyed being near James, just hanging out with him and the rest of the gang. It was nothing like I thought and dreamed of. It wasn't fireworks, or even teeny tiny sparks. Instead, it was a glimmer of a growing glow and it started deep in my soul.

The Montreatiers that came down to see James' graduation.James and James MichaelJames and Anthony


That night after returning to the rental house, I told James that I had a card for him in the car. Everyone else got the clue and went inside. I gave him his graduation card and told him how proud I was of him. With a bashful smile, he quietly said thank you and asked for a walk down the street.

The streetlamps were dim and the South Carolina spanish moss hung low from the trees. The air was chilly but I didn't even care. After bumping shoulders and talking quietly, we found ourselves back in the driveway. James looked at me and asked somewhere along the lines of "Where are we going with our relationship? We both like each other so do we want to go beyond the "I think I sorta kinda like you?"

I just remember looking up into his face and simply having peace of standing near him. We both finally agreed that we would like to start dating, to offically be "boyfriend and girlfriend." After a hug, we went into the house. We were grinning from ear to ear but didn't say a word. Instead, James sat down on the couch and I curled up next to him. Everyone looked and simply just smiled.
My joy is warm hugs from loved ones.

3 comments:

Christylea said...

Laura,
I've enjoyed reading your blog. I think it is a great thing to capture your story and all of your emotions with your words. You have a gift as a writer and I wish you all the best.

Momma Mig said...

hahaha! i love that you give all the details - including neck breaking hugs and the pic of anthony - well, you know what he was doing to james' leg! haaha! love it!

Ann Durham said...

I loved the description of the ceremony...you painted such a great picture of what you experienced!