Friday, December 12, 2008

Dating is an adventure.

Dating is an adventure by itself. It has the wonderful, glorious, magical moments as well as the lousy, awful, down right rotten points. Like every adventure, it is the journey, not the destination that makes it all worth while. I mean, the destination (engagement and marriage) is fabulous, but I can honestly say that I have enjoyed the period of when we were still just learning about each other as a boyfriend and girlfriend can.

Here are some high points in our dating adventure:
  • Love letters- I have mentioned before that James and I mainly had to communicate through letters in the first part of our dating. Those letters are dew drops that drip reminders of how he loves me.
  • Simple and meaningful conversations- These conversation were nothing big, but it meant every thing to me. They would be about anything from what we ate that day to what our dreams were of the future.
  • Long instant message chats- Because James was in the Marines and I was in school, we had to do a long distance relationship. Also, because I am deaf, I couldn't simply pick up the phone. It was just done over the computer through instant messaging. Later, Skype became the main way we communicated.
  • Spur of the moment trips to see each other- When James was doing more training in NC at Camp Lejune, his parents would call me up and invite me to ride down to visit him. When I moved back home for the summer, he flew up for a short 36 hours. I loved those times because they were few and far in between.
  • Flowers- One time, he went on the Internet and search for all kinds of flowers on different sites and just copy and paste the pictures and sent them to me saying "I am giving you all the flowers in the world." For my birthday, he sent me a beautiful bouquet of mini sunflowers and purple Irises.
  • Thoughtful gifts- For the one year anniversary, he got creative and sent me a real 'message in a bottle.' He found a site that makes the 'message in a bottle.' The message was a sweet poem that he thought defined our relationship. It was a wonderful kind of surprise.
  • Holding hands-I am a hand person. His hands are big, strong and just perfect. I feel loved when he holds my hands.
  • Sweet kisses- 'Nuff said. :)

Here are some not-so-great points:

  • Long distance relationship- Out of the entire year and half, I believe we only 'saw' each other for about 3 months.
  • Learning each other's flaws- It drives me nuts when he cracks his knuckles or bends his fingers in strange ways. I am sure I don't have any flaws. *Chortles* He finds me perfect in every way. *Guffaws* Okay... Okay... I have so many flaws, it is ridiculous (like be really obnoxiously annoying on purpose, turn off my implant and shut my eyes when I don't want to listen and push buttons until he snaps at me). The cool thing is, he loves me anyways.
  • Uncertainty of whether we are meant to be together or not- When James was deployed to Iraq, he was gone for seven months. The first months plain and simply sucked. The middle months were fine and good. However, the last few months were awful. Our communications (especially mine) was poor. I was just doubting whether we were suppose to be together or if I needed to take a step back. James and I made a promise that we would be honest to each other and stick through it no matter what. I plainly told him the blunt truth-"I don't know if I want to date you anymore." Instead of getting upset or angry, my words just added fuel to his fire. He turned it up several notches and pursued me until all doubts were erased from my mind and heart.
  • Goodbyes- Because of the long distance, there were wonderful hellos and dreadful sad goodbyes. Sometimes we weren't sure when the next time would be. I cannot wait till the day where I don't have to say goodbyes as much.

He is really some kind of wonderful. James is a compassionate and loyal friend. He is a lover of children and a hater of veggies. He is sweet and he is tough. He makes me feel small and protected. He makes me laugh and makes me cry. He is stubborn and he is a good listener. He can stew over a heated argument for days but he can love deeply...

Yeah, he really is my kind of wonderful.

My joy is relating with my aunt, Sonja, and twin sister, Erin, through the joyful triumphs and harsh trials of being hearing impaired.

No comments: