Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Engagement

Yes, I am hitched now.
I PROMISE to post about the wedding but first, I need to tell of my engagement story.


Every year on October 31st, I celebrate two things, my birthday and Halloween. This year for my 24th birthday, I was in Hawaii. James had to work all day so I decided just to keep myself busy.

I had been recieving birthday messages from friends and family throughout the day. It brighten my day but it simply was not the same as celebrating and seeing them in person. The only person on the whole island that knew it was my birthday was James.

After texting James once, asking, "Did you forget to tell me something?"

To which he replied, "What? What do you mean? Happy Halloween?"

I decided that I wasn't going to beg. I would just let him tell me when he finally remembered. When I went to pick him up from work, I said, "Hey, why don't we go to the Cheesecake Factory for supper and then meet up with friends after that?"

He made a face like he really did NOT want to do that plan. After a moment, he answered, "Why don't we go to the Cheesecake Factory and then we will see what happens after that?"

Letting his attitude affect me, I shrugged, "Fine. Whatever."

We had to go back to his barrack so he could change clothes. By the time he came back down to the car, I had decided that I was tired and didn't care to go to the Cheesecake Factory anymore. I told him how I was feeling.

"What? No. We ARE going to the Cheesecake Factory." was his huffy reply. By this time, I was thinking that he really has had a long week and was acting strange.

So off to the Cheesecake Factory we went. When we reached the hostess' stand, we were told that it was a 60 to 90 minute wait. James happily exclaimed, "Great!"

Okay, honestly, who in the right frame of mind would be happy about an hour and half wait? The typical responds is a groan and/or ask whoever they are with if they want to wait that long. Right?

By this time, I knew something was up. I decided to just roll with the punches. James suggested that we head behind the Cheesecake Factory to walk on the Waikiki beach. After walking a little ways, I asked if we could just sit and talk. He looked around and said, "No, not here. Let's walk a little bit more."

"How about here?"

"No, not here." And on we would walk. Finally, after glancing over his shoulders, he motioned that we could sit. I noticed that it was in a spot where the lighting was good so I could easily see his face. (Sweet guy.)

We watched as the waves crashed on shore in the dim starlight and streetlight beach. There was a gentle breeze floating from the sea, reaching up and tickling our hair. After soaking in the peaceful setting, we talked of our day. At one point in the conversation, I looked at him and said, "It is really bothering me that you won't say something to me. I know that you know what day today is. And you still acted like you didn't care. That you forgot that it was my birthday."

Swinging his body around and pinning me with a pointed stare, he answered, "I knew it was your birthday. I did not forget it was your birthday. In fact, I have something for you."

He got on one knee, reached into his pocket and pulled out a small velvet black box. Opening the case, he asked,"Happy birthday. Will you be my wife?"

"Are you serious? You are kidding me." was my shocked reply.

He rolled his eyes and asked again, "Laura, I am serious. Now, will you be my bride?"

To which I answered with a choked laugh and a hand to my throat, "Yes. Yes, of course."

Just moments after he popped the quesiton.
After a kiss and hug, we grinned at each other. Then the questions and comments came rolling out of me. "So this is why you were acting so strange all day?? Did you ask my dad? I kind of knew that you were going to ask sometime because Mom kind of let the cat out of the bag. I have got to call my family. No wait, I can't. They are sleeping." And on and on I went. He sweetly answered my questions.

He had planned to act standoffish all day and take me for a walk on a private beach. Then he was going to pretend to see something on the ground, get on one knee and ask. Unbeknowst to me, I kept messing up his plans so he had to improvise.

Of course, he asked my dad. He told me how nervous he was and how the conversation went.

Finally, we went up to the Cheesecake Factory and had a celebration of sorts.

My birthday, Halloween and now, our engagement.

The next day.

My joy is surprises.

2 comments:

Christylea said...

I got the chills and nearly cried when I read up to the picture. (And, I'm supposed to be teaching first grade!) Your story is so perfect and I am simply so pleased for you and James. I wish you all the happiness in the world together!

hv said...

Laura,
I want to see pics of the wedding! I prayed for you!
Heidi