Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Going home...

On January 24th, I made a surprise visit home. It is just a quick visit, only 5 days.

Mom and I decided to just keep it between us and surprise everyone.

I landed in Grand Rapids at 9:30 in the morning, I was exhausted from jet lag, traveling all night and getting only 3-4 hours worth of sleep but through my fogginess, I was thrilled to see everyone again.

Mom and Lisa had planned to go to the bridal show in Grand Rapids to scour the area for some sweet wedding deals. Brittany, my cousin, decided to join in on the fun. As they were driving towards Grand Rapids, Mom told Lisa and Brittany that she needed to stop by Sam's Club first and do some other errands. When she pulled off the exit towards the airport, Lisa's suspicions grew. As Mom turned onto the road towards the airport, Lisa finally asked, "Mom, there aren't any businesses on this road except the airport. What are we picking up from the airport? Laura?"

Mom smiled.

When Mom pulled up at the airport, I stepped out into the frigged cold. I couldn't believe that I had already adapted to warm tropical weather so quickly that I forgot about the biting cold of the Midwest. Lisa and Brittany jumped out and gave me a wonderful welcome-back-home hugs.

We went to Sam's club to pick up supplies for the parties that night. One was the 2008 Beckman Christmas party celebrated in January of 2009. Most of the family was in Hawaii celebrating my wedding with me that they decided to postpone the traditional family get-together till everyone was home. The other party was Matthew's party. That day was the same day as Matthew's midwinter dance. He invited everyone over for pictures and they brought their parents. Our house was filled to the brim, I was just surprised not to see the floor fall out from our feet.

After Sam's Club,we went to the bridal show. I am just glad that I am not a bride anymore. Just dealing with the sales people was exhausting. However, it was fun just to go through it again and watch Lisa deal with them all. It was also fun to give Brittany my ring and pretend she was a bride so she can get free stuff.

Finally, we made our way home. My family was to bring the fruit platter. I brought home three fresh yummy pineapple from Hawaii. So I prepared the platter with delish fresh, melt-in-your-mouth-goodness fruits. Lisa and I left to head over to Mormor and Papa's for the Beckman Christmas.

I sent Lisa ahead to grab the camera and start taking pictures as I walked through the door. I wanted her to capture the emotions of my loved one's faces. She only snapped four... but it was enough.

Mitzi, my beloved aunt, gave me the best reaction. She just stood there with her mouth gaping open. Then she smiled and covered her mouth. I think she said "Oh my gosh" and started laughing. She was the first to notice me and to give me a wonderful hug.

Then Mormor and Papa saw me and were just shocked. They couldn't believe their eyes. I was in Kauai with them for two weeks. During that time they had expressed that they really wish that I could come home for the party. When I left them at the airport, they expressed their sorrow that I wasn't able to join the fun festivities. I just gave them a sympathetic pat on the back and fake a sad face, declaring, "Oh me too."

Now with a grin on my face, I approached them. Mormor just stood there shaking her wet fingers at me, saying" You. You. You." I laughed and was enveloped into her arms.

As Papa hugged me, family started pouring into the kitchen. I have to say this is one of my favorite pictures. Just peeking over Papa's shoulder, I saw my beloved cousins' faces. Each one of them priceless.

For the rest of the night, we swamped stories, shared laughter, opened presents and ate a feast of delicious foods. We ended the night with no other pictures. Just warm memories that are stored into the deepest parts of my heart.

My joy is remembering priceless memories.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Y'all are pretty sneaky coming home!! Erin has made her fair share of surprise returns also! We are just so glad to share our frigid MI winter with you :)
-Katie

The Rodriguez's said...

WHAT?!?! >:( NO OTHER PICTURES?! I'm really really really really really disappointed! WHAT WERE YOU THINKING!? comeon!