Saturday, November 29, 2008

The Best Things Happen While You're Dancing

Throughout the year and half that we were buddies, James was falling for me. I, on the other hand, wanted nothing to do with him and romance. I recall one night after James and I went for a jeep ride and stopped by the Drip (the local coffee shop in Black Mountain), I realized that James was interested in me. After hunting Anthony down, I told him that he had better warn James that I was not interested. Apparently, James humbly accepted the rejection but made a vow that he will someday go out with me. He quietly pursued me, just through conversations, quick chats in the hallways, and even occasional lunches in the college cafeteria. Clueless, I was just relieved that he wasn't asking me out.

Every year there is a winter ball. The college hires several dance instructors to teach college kids how to waltz, swing, salsa and fox trot. It is a great time since I love to dance.

Well, when the winter ball of 2006 rolled around, I was bound and determined to go with a guy, just so I would have a guy partner. After years of dancing with girls and arguing about who is going to take the guy position (girls- you know how hard it is to find a guy who is willing to dance), I was just ready for a change. I went on a hunt to find one of my guy friends and everything was falling through. Discouraged, I decided not to go and just to stay at home with my roommates and watch a movie.

The night of the ball came around, I went up to the campus to check my mail. I ran into James and we chatted for a bit. A light blub suddenly went off in my head, and I quickly asked , "What are you doing tonight?"

"Nothing" was his reply.

I grinned and boldly ask him to dance with me at the ball. After stammering that he didn't know how to dance, I challenged him, "All I am asking, is for you to learn with me."

James' face brightened and with a grin, he said, "Okay."

Mere hours later, we met up at the ball and enjoyed dancing the night away. Sure, there were times where he stepped on my toes and I messed up a few... okay... a lot of steps, but we laughed through it all and went on dancing.

(A friend snapped our picture that night.)


As I walked home later that night, I don't think my feet ever touched the ground. Over the next several days, I realized that God opened my eyes to James and spoke to my heart- "He is the one."

There is a song from "White Christmas" called The Best Things Happened While You're Dancing. I heard it a couple weeks after the ball and I realized that is exactly how I felt about the whole night.

"The best things happen while you're dancing
Things you would not do at home
Come naturally on the floor
For dancing soon becomes romancing
When you hold a girl in your arms
That you've never held before
Even guys with two left feet
Come out alright if the girl is sweet
If by chance their cheeks should meet while dancing
Proving that the best things happen while you dance."

My joy is dancing in my beloved's arms.

1 comment:

Sue Ellen McCreary said...

Dear Laura,
They say it all starts with a kiss.........I say it starts with a dance.....I wish you all the happiness in the world.
Peace & Love,
Cousin Sue