Tuesday, February 17, 2009

It's Untold Bliss

Here it is... the novel of untold bliss.  Like I said, it is drawn out... I wouldn't have it any other way.

When we (Carolyn and I) arrived at the hotel, I was greeted by different members of my family pouring out of the hotel rooms.  The guys were hustling and bustling about, getting ready for a relaxing morning on the pontoon boat out on the bay.  James paused briefly, gave me a quick kiss and a "Good Morning, my bride." 

With stars in my eyes, I turned to see the ladies just coming and going.  Eating breakfast. Talking. Laughing. And doing whatever.  I just remember at that moment, I felt so at rest, so surrounded by love. 

I was pulled into a hotel room by Gabe and was blown away by a lovely sight... she had created three stunning, mouth-gaping-open bouquets.

Gabe, Tj's (my cousin's) wife, sweetly volunteered to take care of the flowers.  The night before, Gabe pulled me aside and said that she took classes in college on how to arrange flowers. If I wanted, she would like to take care of the flowers.  I gladly let her. The Saturday before the wedding, we all went to the Farmer's market.  My mom, grandmothers and I grabbed different kinds of tropical flowers, all different colors and sizes. We brought it home and put it in the refrigerator.  We showed them to Gabe and allowed her to create a masterpiece. 

What she created as the bridals' bouquet was just too marvelous for words.  It was one of my favorite things about my wedding.  The flowers had colors that brought life into my wedding. Against my ivory gown, it radiated loveliness.  It was a beautiful accessory that made my wedding outfit complete. 

After gawking at the flowers, we were told by my appointed schedule bearers', Sonja and Kim, that we were to wear our swimsuits to the rehearsal. We all piled into the cars and headed over to the cottage on a small, private beach.

We set up the tiki torches, poured fuel into the canisters and lit the fuses.  They smelled of summer time, bringing me back to my childhood to tiki torches burning in the little spot down at the creek. One by one, my cousins grabbed the torches and held them as the white fuses slowly burned to charcoal black.  Standing side by side, they looked like a cool army of chicks in bathing suits holding burning tiki torches.  If only we painted black marks on their cheeks and have them raise the torches over their heads while uttering a war cry, they would have fit some kind of army for the Amazon princess warriors thingy.

Anyways, we brought the torches down to the beach where Gabe tied strands of tropical flowers to the posts.  As Gabe was tying, Mormor held the torches and watched as Mom, Sonja and Kim got the rehearsal underway.  We all talked and gave directions, tumbling our words together. We laughed and teased and bickered our way into a make-do ceremony.  Sonja pretended to be James and held my hands as we positioned ourselves.  We figured out where certain people were going to be, for example, my father in law has one leg.  We figured that it would be easiest for him to just go ahead and walk down to the beach and sit in his wheelchair and watch everything from there.  We also decided exactly where James and I would stand so that the background was a gorgeous view of the bay.  We decided where the guest aisle would be. 

In the midst of figuring out the details for the ceremony, the paradise sky darkens and raindrops fell.  Mormor raised her hands to the sky and prayed.  The beach was on the Marine base which was on the windward side of the island… the side that often rains. Mormor, the most faithful prayer warrior I’ve ever know, has been praying all week for a beautiful day for my wedding, for the clouds to hold their buckets of rain and pass over the beach.  All around us, it was cloudy except the spot we were in. It was a wonderful day.  So when we felt the sprinkles, Mormor started to pray.  As soon as she did that, I knew everything was going to be okay.  It was an instant feeling of yeah-this-is-going-to-be-okay-even-if-the-clouds-poured. 

After the rehearsal, my aunts gave me a delightful little surprise.  They gave me the gift of time to go swimming in the waves. Growing up on Lake Michigan, I have so many cherished memories of playing in the waves with my family.  To be able to do it again, here in Hawaii, with my family was just simply icing on the cake... cherry on the top... cream of the crop... 

Anyways, we made our way to Pyramid Rock beach. 

This is the beach where the waves crash regularly.  This is where the lifeguards constantly stand on their deck blaring out on their warnings of the undertow on the loudspeaker.  This is where the wind whips the sand across your skin, leaving you feeling every sting.  This is where we had some fun. 

We undressed, and dove into the waves.  We met up with every wave, diving into them right before it broke.  Our eyes turned bloodshot, our fingers turned into prunes, but our hearts became children again as we laughed, swam and tumbled about in the glorious waves.  

We would be pull out into the sea and we would ride the waves back in.  Finally, the lifeguards couldn't handle it anymore and told us to come ashore.  Sonja exclaimed, "Perfect.  The bride needs to get on her way."  

With grins as wide as the moon, we stumbled out onto the sandy shore.  Piling back into the cars, we all head back to the hotel for showers and to get ready for the grand reveal of the day.

After Gabe beautified my face and adorned my hair with purple orchids, I slipped into one of my old, most treasured white sun dress for photos with James on the beach.  We quietly slipped away with Tj and Gabe (the photographers) and went to the beach.  We wanted to get most of the traditional pictures out of the way.  It ended up being a special time of being together before becoming one. 

Simply just by seeing each other, James and I were able to be at rest.  We were able to express our love for each other, our excitement for the day and our hope for the future.  We were able to laugh away worries that we may have had. Above all, we were able to have some of these moments capture into photographs.

After the fun, relaxing photo shoot, family met us up at the beach for some family pictures.  There aren't enough words to express what each person means to me.  I get choked up with a lump in my throat and my eyes teared up.  As I sat watching everyone pour out of the cars, my heart swelled with love and gratitude for each special person.  

The family photos were traditional but not so traditional either.  For cryin' out loud, how many people can proudly boast a picture of their families in the utopia of Hawaii?  With the magnificent Waianae mountains striking tall in the background and the stormy clouds topped the peaks with marvelous sun rays streaming through, James and I stood with endearing family members as we beamed, smiled, grinned and laughed through snapshot after snapshot.

With a glance to their watches, Kim and Sonja told me it was time.  The clock was ticking. The countdown was starting.  I was to clothe myself in a dress befitting for a bride. I was to have final touch ups on make-up and hair. I was to hide myself until I was ready to walk down the aisle to meet the one who held my heart.

With my mom, Lisa and Gabe, in the small bedroom of beach cottage by the cove, I slipped into my dress.  As Lisa and Mom laced me up, Gabe replaced wilted orchids in my hair. 

My dress fit like a glove.  My hair was charming and sublime.  My make-up was just right. Mom stood behind me to clip on my too-cool necklace... I must gush over my wedding jewelry.  Weeks prior, I was leafing through pictures and magazines, trying to figure out what exactly I wanted for my wedding jewelry.  The more I looked at strings of pearls, the more I was turned off by the sight of them.  I wanted something more.  One day Mom showed me a jewelry magazine and pointed out several.  I recall loving both sets, but one seems to be perfect...  It was in gold hues beads, pearls and crystals.  The set was earrings, necklace and bracelet. The earrings dangled at the right length, the bracelet charmed my wrist gracefully and the neck fitted to my neck and dress so beautifully. It was the final pieces that made my bridal ensemble complete. Oh I just love it and still do to this day! (I swear I really am not materialistic.... despite my gushings.)

With soft kind words from Mom and Lisa, they quietly slipped from the room.  Gabe asked if I wanted my netting or go without.  At that point I really didn't care.  At one time, I envisioned it to look savvy and chic.  After several frustrated attempts, I decided that I wouldn't make up my mind until my wedding day.  Gabe ended up trying with and without.  Simply by angling it over my face, I was won over.  Finally, it was that savvy chic look I hoped for.  And... looking back at the pictures... it was a little bit awesomely ridiculous.  

And suddenly.... it was time.

I walked through a quiet beach cottage outside where I met up with Dad.  Somewhere outside music was playing. The sun had disappeared behind the mountains and clouds.  The lighting was that perfect afternoon glow.  The blue turquoise waters of the bay was calm, gently lapping the sandy shores.  

Kim swept out my train behind me as I stared at my lovely sisters in front of me. Daddy held out his arm with a certain smile. A smile that is letting me know I am loved and a range of emotions played across his face.  I kissed his cheek and then looked out across the yard into the little private sandy beach. 

A breeze stirred the tall grass as they reached up and tickled my ankles. The music changed.  Soft tempo of the music floated on the breeze...  

"The splendor of a King, 

clothed in Majesty. 

All the earth rejoice. 

All the earth rejoice.

He wraps himself in light

Darkness tries to hide.

Trembles at His voice.

Trembles at His voice." 

Kim mention for Erin and Lisa to start walking. Hand in hand with smiles that brighten their ever so lovely faces, they slowly walked down. The tempo was building...

"How great is our God.

Sing with me.

How great is our God.

And all shall sing,

How Great,

How great is our God..."

Kim turned and faced me.  With a soft nod, she smiled and mentioned for Daddy and I to start walking.  Family and friends that were able to come stood at the edge of the grassy yard, in two lines, forming a intimate aisle. Beyond the aisle, my father-in-law, Larry, was sitting in his chair looking on proudly. Behind him stood Anthony, Travis and James. (Travis and Anthony stood up with James, but Anthony was also officiating the ceremony.)

As Dad guided me down the aisle, I suppose I should have been looking at each person. However, I just could not pull my eyes away from the man in dress blues. He was standing tall and looking so handsome and sharp.  Best of all was the way he was gazing at me, adoring me and beckoning me with the love in his eyes. 

Dad and I walked around Larry and came face to face with James and Anthony. We stood there as the crowd of family and friends formed a half circle around us. The music died and Anthony asked, "Who gives this woman to this man?"

With a half smile and slightly teary eyes, my dad strongly answered, "Her mother and I do." With a sweet kiss, he gently passed me off to James.

Throughout Anthony's marvelous words of wisdom, James and I would steal glances at each other, squeeze each others hands and share smiles.  At the beginning, James was a bit tense as he held his arms out stiffly and his hands felt like rocks.  I slightly shook his hands and whispered to him, "Relax."  

"I am." He whispered back. I raised my eyebrow and he smiled and winked.  Stimuateously we loosen our arms and we were drawn under Anthony's spell that he casted with the help of the Holy Spirit that encircled us.

With encouragements and warnings, Anthony told us of how hard marriage is and how wonderful it will be. Like warriors before a battle, we drew the words on over our hearts like armor. 

After his message, we said the simple but powerful traditional vows. Placing the rings on each other fingers, we ensure each other the symbol our love.  

However, as I was about to place the ring on James' finger, I suddenly wasn't sure if it was the right hand or not.  I had to pause, make a "L" with my left hand and pivot my body so I could see that it was indeed his left hand.  With a short laugh and a goofy grin, I smiled and placed the ring on his proper finger.

James and I looked at Anthony, and Anthony grinned at James.  With a shrug, he said, "Well, you may kiss your bride."

With that, James pulled me into his arms and sealed our vows with a kiss.

**My awesome brother, Matthew, was the video camera man, he was able to post unedited clips of the wedding ceremony.**


My joy is kisses- the kind that seals a sacred promise.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so glad that you wrote it all down. All of your raw emotion is just wonderful. I almost feel like I was there. Love you.
-Katie

Carolyn said...

you are a fantastic writer